The Training Game

I reviewed my lecture notes as I sat on the ferry. I had just reorganized my presentation on "How Animals Learn" and wanted to make sure I remembered my slide order for tonight's evening program on Madeline Island. 

Standing on a little stage at the island's Museum, I enjoyed sharing stories of animals I've worked with and the lessons I learned from them. The best way to learn how to train an animal is to practice, after all. That's why I end the program with The Training Game, a chance for us to train each other. I asked for a volunteer that I could teach a new behavior.

The room was quiet for a moment. Then a group of three sisters eagerly started pointing at each other. One of those sisters good-naturedly agreed to join me on stage. 

I explained that she could move around the stage and I would use a clicker to tell her when she's done something correct.

I held out a paper towel tube. She took a step toward me. Click! 

She returned to the starting position and stepped toward me. She hesitantly reached out and touched the tube with her hand. Click!

Now she was feeling more confident. This time she gripped the tube firmly. Click!

It looked like she intended to take the tube from me. That wasn't part of my plan, so I had to think: how can I teach her to simply touch the tube without grabbing? 

Next time she reached out, her hand came about 2 inches away from the tube. Click! She was surprised and had to rethink here. She moved her hand close to the tube (no click yet), then gently touched it. Click!

Alright! She was target trained now. How could I use this skill of touching the tube to teach a new behavior?

I raised my right hand and held the end of the tube against my palm. She touched the tube with an open hand. Click!

Now I set the tube down and raised my right hand. She touched my palm with her own. Click! 

I held my hand up again and she confidently gave me a high-five. Click! She figured out my goal behavior!

While entertaining, I also hope that the audience came away from the evening with a new way to think about behavior. Maybe they even got a few ideas for how to address behavior with their pets, or maybe they'll try The Training Game with their spouses or grandchildren!

Waiting for the 8:30 ferry back to the mainland.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Technically in the Way

Carson's Summer

Head-Bobbing