DDT Stories
As we wrap up each live raptor program, I discuss the effect DDT, a powerful insecticide, had on raptor populations. The chemical caused eagles, osprey, and peregrine falcons to lay thinned-shelled eggs that cracked easily. DDT was eventually banned in the United States 1972 due to these environmental impacts. Since I didn't live through the time of this wonder-chemical, I enjoy hearing stories from people who experienced it.
Last week, an audience member shared a childhood memory of visiting their family cabin. The old log structure hosted many mosquitos inside and out. He explained how his mother used to spray the bedroom with a fog of DDT as the kids crawled into bed.
At this week's program, one audience member shared that their father worked at the lab that received the first shipment of DDT in the US. They were amazed at how well it controlled fly populations in barns.
In hindsight, of course, we know they could have tamed their enthusiasm for this chemical. But I imagine it's merits would have been hard to ignore, especially with advertisements like this:
![]() |
| A 1947 advertisement sings DDT's praises! |

My uncle was what would be called, decades later, an early adopter. He had the first power lawn mower I can recall in the late 1950s. Perhaps I recall it for a particular use he had for it.
ReplyDeleteHe and his wife had marvelous lawn parties. I loved the food, my cousins and after dinner music and singing around a fire.
We arrived early; my mother would help her sister get ready for the party. (They were both clever and funny in their own right. Hilarious and unpredictable together.) When we drove in my uncle was getting ready to mow the lawn, while well dressed for the approaching party. This was odd: he always wore a rather natty suit of khaki shirt and pants when doing his yard work.
He started the mower. It sputtered for a moment and then an opaque white cloud of smoke erupted from its exhaust. He pushed the fog machine around the perimeter of the yard, then crisscrossed the center. He obviously wasn’t mowing the lawn. My sister and I were enthralled by the fog he produced and followed him and his sweet smelling cloud. “What,” Dad asked when the machinery was shut down, “are you doing?”
“Killing the bugs,” he responded, “you’ll see. There won’t be any bothering the party.”
Years later I pieced together that this was DIY approach to spreading a little DDT: add it to the gasoline of a small gas motor. It billowed out in the exhaust. “Better living through chemistry,” was as I recall Dow Chemicals’ motto.