DDT Stories
As we wrap up each live raptor program, I discuss the effect DDT, a powerful insecticide, had on raptor populations. The chemical caused eagles, osprey, and peregrine falcons to lay thinned-shelled eggs that cracked easily. DDT was eventually banned in the United States 1972 due to these environmental impacts. Since I didn't live through the time of this wonder-chemical, I enjoy hearing stories from people who experienced it.
Last week, an audience member shared a childhood memory of visiting their family cabin. The old log structure hosted many mosquitos inside and out. He explained how his mother used to spray the bedroom with a fog of DDT as the kids crawled into bed.
At this week's program, one audience member shared that their father worked at the lab that received the first shipment of DDT in the US. They were amazed at how well it controlled fly populations in barns.
In hindsight, of course, we know they could have tamed their enthusiasm for this chemical. But I imagine it's merits would have been hard to ignore, especially with advertisements like this:
![]() |
| A 1947 advertisement sings DDT's praises! |

Comments
Post a Comment